As Raghuram Rajan’s exit date (September 4) nears, speculation about his successor has been doing the rounds for the last few weeks.
Recent rumors from the Finance Ministry suggest that the announcement of RBI’s new governor is likely to take place today.
Former deputy governor Subir Gokarn along with current deputy governor Urjit Patel are the front-runners for the post, sources say.
The other contenders that were set on the long list as potential governor candidate include: –
- Arvind Subramanian (Chief Economic Advisor )
- Arvind Panagariya (NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman)
- Rakesh Mohan (Former RBI Deputy Governor)
- Arundhati Bhattacharya (SBI Chairman)
- Shaktikanta Das (Economic Affairs Secretary)